How to Check Your CIBIL Score
When applying for a loan to buy a new home, to invest in your business, or for any other needs, one very important factor in deciding whether you are eligible for the loan or not is the CIBIL score. In addition to fixed eligibility criteria, banks also require you to have a minimum credit score in order to get an approval on your loan.
It is a good idea to check your CIBIL score before you apply for any loan so that you can narrow down on your options or understand if you are eligible or not.
What is a CIBIL Score?
CIBIL or the Credit Information Bureau India Limited is a company that provides you with detailed credit information. The credit records for individuals as well as commercial organisations are maintained by this company by collecting all their credit information.
The credit information usually comprises of the following details:
- Personal details such as your name and other details
- Information about your employment
- Repayment track record for your previous loan
- Record of your previous applications and enquiries
Based on these parameters a CIBIL Score is calculated. The CIBIL score is a three-digit number in the range of 300 to 900. The higher the number, the more creditworthy you are. Usually with most banks, the required credit score is at least 750 (mainly for unsecured loans). If your score is high, there are several advantages besides getting an approval on your loan. You can also get a good deal of loan when you have a good CIBIL score. It is quite simple to understand, the closer your credit report is to 900, the better are your chances of getting a loan or a Credit Card.
How to Check Your CIBIL Score?
In India, there are four licensed credit companies that can give you a credit rating, namely CIBIL, Equifax, Experian, and Highmark. Of these, the most valued score is the one that is provided by CIBIL. There are different options available for you to check your CIBIL score and understand what banks and financial institutions you can approach for any credit. You can simply log on to the CIBIL's website, provide your details and check your CIBIL score online.
How to Get a Free CIBIL Report Online?
Every individual has the facility of getting a detailed annual CIBIL report each year for free. This is available online on the official CIBIL website. In order to check your CIBIL report you can follow these steps:
- Log in to the official CIBIL website which is cibil.com
- Once you enter the website you will find an option of "Click here to get your free annual CIBIL Score".
- After you have clicked on it, you will be directed to a new page where you can register as a CIBIL member.
- To register for CIBIL, you have to provide your email ID and create a password. Personal details such as name, date of birth, and phone number will have to be provided.
- You will have to give an ID number which can be your PAN number, your Passport number, your Ration Card number, your Voter's ID number of your Drivers' License number.
- Then, click on Accept and continue to go to the following steps
- The next step is to verify your identity by answering a few questions and then entering the OTP that is sent to your device.
- Once you have registered and become a CIBIL Member, click on 'My Account'. Then you can click on the "Get Free Annual Report" option and avail the benefits.
Paid CIBIL Report Online
You will be able to get free access to your credit report only once each year. If you wish to view your CIBIL score more than once each year, you will have to pay for a CIBIL Membership.
There are three different membership options that you have with CIBIL:
- Premium membership:
- This membership is available for 1,200
- You can get unlimited access to your CIBIL Report through the year
- Standard membership
- This membership is available for 800
- You can get unlimited access to your CIBIL Report for 6 months
- Basic membership
- This membership is available for 550
- You can get unlimited access to your CIBIL Report for 1 month
There are other advantages of choosing a CIBIL membership as mentioned below:
- You have access to a score simulator that will tell you how any financial decision that you take in the future will affect your score.
- You can also get access to information about the different loan offers available based on your CIBIL score.
You can also use online CIBIL score calculators that are available on popular finance and investment portals. These CIBIL score calculators will be able to provide you with your credit information with your PAN card number and other necessary details. However, the most accurate option is to obtain your CIBIL score directly from any of the aforementioned licensed credit information institutions.
Why Should You Check Your CIBIL Score Regularly?
Investing in the CIBIL membership will help you check your score on a regular basis. There are some advantages of checking your CIBIL Score:
- You will be able to check which banks if you are eligible to apply for a loan there or not
- Negotiating your interest rates will become easier when you are aware of your CIBIL score. Usually, for individuals who have a CIBIL score above 750, it is possible to get a better loan deal.
- You will not have to worry about your loan application getting rejected. Any rejection of a loan application reduces your CIBIL score and must be avoided at all costs.
- It helps you make the right financial decisions in order to improve your current CIBIL score, if necessary.
Maintaining a Good CIBIL Score
It is possible to maintain your CIBIL score or improve it through the following steps:
- Make sure that any equated monthly instalment (EMI) towards your loans is repaid before the due date.
- Try to make complete payments on your Credit Card instead of clearing only the minimum balance before the due date.
- Have a good balance of secured loans and unsecured loans. Having only unsecured loans will lead to a lower CIBIL score.
- Do not apply for several loans at one time. Make sure that you check the ones that you are most eligible for before you apply. Multiple applications tend to reduce your CIBIL score. In addition to this, any rejection may also lead to lowering of your CIBIL score.
- Reduce your debts. If you are able to repay a loan or repay any outstanding on your Credit Card, make sure that you do it to maintain a good CIBIL score.
- Reduce debt utilisation. This means you need to try to spend below your allowed Credit Card limit or utilize your loans in parts in order to keep your CIBIL score high.
What do I have to do in order to avail a second CIBIL report in the same year?
Each year, every CIBIL member is eligible for one free credit report. In case you have already received your credit report for the year, you can still continue to monitor your score. You have the option of getting an unlimited access plan. There are different access plans available depending upon the time frame that you wish to check the credit report for.
Are there any additional facilities that I can get besides the CIBIL report and score?
When you become a member of CIBIL or purchase an unlimited access plan, there are several other benefits that you can avail. You have the option of looking for personalised Credit Card plans and loan offers depending upon your CIBIL score. You also have the option of raising any disputes in case you find any inaccuracy in the CIBIL report that you receive.
How to raise a dispute on my credit report?
It is simple to raise a dispute with CIBIL following these steps:
- Log into your CIBIL account
- Click on Credit Reports and Choose the Dispute an Item option
- Fill up the form provided and choose the section that you want to dispute
- Enter the value for the disputed section
- Once the system validates the dispute, it will be assigned to CIBIL for revaluating. It usually takes 30 days to resolve these disputes.
Is it possible for my CIBIL records to be changed or deleted?
Your credit report cannot be changed or deleted by CIBIL. This institution only collects all the information that is provided about a certain individual by financial institutions and banks. These reports are made based on this information and will not be deleted or changed on account of being a "bad" or "defaulter" report.
What does NH or NA Mean?
If you see NA or NH on your CIBIL score, it means that you do not have any loans or credits on the basis of which your credit report can be made. This may also mean that there has been no credit activity related to the individual for several years. If you have an add-on card, your credit exposure is not present for a report to be made.