Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana - Gramin
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana was launched with a noble objective of providing shelter for each Indian citizen by the year 2022. There were two components of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G) and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Shehari (PMAY - U). The idea behind these two separate programmes is that people living in rural areas should also have access to proper housing facilities.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - Concept
The concept of the housing scheme for the rural poor is not a new one. There was a scheme in force by the name of Indira Awas Yojana. The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin is a new name for the existing Indira Awas Yojana, but with certain beneficial modifications.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - The Programme
- Launch: The Honourable Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi launched the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin on 20th November 2016.
- Objective: The principal aim behind this rural housing programme is to help build more than 1 Crore residential houses by providing financial assistance to the eligible beneficiaries. The plan envisages completing the housing project in three years.
- Financial Assistance: The State and the Central Government together will bear the cost of construction of the residential homes. The scheme stipulates that the financial assistance will be credited in instalments directly into the savings accounts of the beneficiaries in Post Offices and banks.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - Target
The programme targets people below the poverty line living in dilapidated and temporary houses. The objective is to construct permanent homes and provide house sites to the landless poor. The target audience for the scheme is the SC/ST and non-SC/ST BPL households. Priority is given to manual scavengers and bonded labourers. After this category, the priority list is prepared to include the following class of people in the mentioned order.
- Women living under challenging conditions such as widows, divorced or deserted women, victims of atrocities, and women whose husbands are missing for more than three years, and finally families headed by women.
- Mentally challenged people having a minimum disability of 40%
- Physically challenged individuals having a minimum disability of 40%
- Transgender population
- Widows and next-of-kin members of defence/police/paramilitary forces killed in the line of duty
- Other homeless BPL families
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - The Details
- Construction of houses in plains: 1.20 Lakhs
- Construction of houses in hilly areas: 1.30 Lakhs
- Construction of permanent lavatories: 12,000
Apart from financial assistance to construct their homes, the scheme ensures employment generation for 90 to 95 days during which, each beneficiary can earn up to 18,000.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - The Benefits
- Financial assistance is by way of direct transfer to the beneficiary's savings account. It ensures a high degree of transparency and reduces red-tapism.
- The beneficiaries can construct houses with the total area not exceeding 25 sqm.
- The houses built under this programme will be resistant to natural calamities like earthquakes and floods.
- The economically backward and deprived people will get financial assistance up to 1.20 Lakhs for constructing permanent residential houses.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - Eligibility
- Your eligibility will be based on the survey conducted in 2011
- The prime eligibility criterion is that the individual should either not own a house or reside in temporary accommodation.
- The list of beneficiaries is updated every year
- The beneficiary should either belong to the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) or the Low Income Group (LIG).
- A household earning up to 3 Lakhs per annum comes under the EWS category
- In the case of Low Income Group, the annual household income should not exceed 6 Lakhs
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - How to Apply
Unlike the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana 2019 that requires applicants to apply online, the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin does not seek any applications. The respective Gram Sabha selects the beneficiaries from the list that is updated every year. The chosen beneficiaries do not have to fill or submit an application form.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - Status
- Access the official website of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin
- Proceed to MIS Reports and click on the Status of Aadhar/Job Card/SBM/SECC/Mobile Number seeded in MIS.
- Beneficiaries can check up the status on this page
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - Complaints and Helpline
Beneficiaries can register their complaints and seek assistance by accessing the official website of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin.
- Technical Support Helpline No: 1800-11-6446
- Email: email@example.com
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - Frequently Asked Questions
How will the Central and State Governments share financial assistance?
The funding ratio under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin is as follows:
- North-eastern states: Centre will provide 90% whereas the state will offer 10%
- Other states of India: The Centre to State ratio is 75:25
- Union territories: The Centre will bear the entire cost
- Housing sites: The Centre and State will share the cost equally
In whose name does the Government allot the plots?
The allotment is done in the joint names of the husband and the wife. In the case of widows/separated/unmarried person, the Government can allot the house in single name of the woman. If the beneficiary is physically challenged, the allotment should necessarily be in the name of such persons.
Is it compulsory to have an account in a bank or Post Office?
Yes, it is mandatory to have an account in a bank or Post Office because the financial assistance is by way of direct transfer to the account of the beneficiary.
Who will construct the homes?
The beneficiaries should construct the house by themselves. The rules stipulate that they should not engage the services of any contractor. If such an instance comes to the notice of the authorities, the Ministry of Rural Development has the right to recall the assistance. However, persons over 60 years of age or those with disabilities can seek permission to engage reputed construction agencies for the construction of their homes.
What is the duration of completion of the house?
The construction of the house should not take more than two years from the release of the first instalment of assistance.
Is the construction of a toilet a mandatory requirement?
Yes, the construction of toilets is mandatory under the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan.