Best Credit Card Types for Frequent Travelers
Those who travel frequently are surely aware of how some of the Best Credit Cards get them some world-class traveling benefits and perks. A holder of multiple cards who travels frequently gets access to premium airport lounges, food and drinks, discounts on hotel rooms and car rentals, extra mileage points and much more, which make their travels certainly more enjoyable. For some travelers, there are also no fee or low fee cards, especially if they just want to use their regular spending to get an occasional free air ticket, car rental or hotel room even if they are not very frequent travelers.
Almost all travel cards currently come with a point bonus or big mile when you acquire one on spending a reasonable amount as annual fees in the first few months. For this reason only, some avid mileage strategists often flip their cards. It needs to be borne in mind, however, that the benefits may vary with different Types of Travel Credit Cards and the competition among card issuers is also fairly fierce to garner a larger section of the traveler market.
The following are the five best types of travel Credit Cards currently available:
1. You get air miles on every transaction:
When you spend thousands of rupees on that international air ticket, it’s only natural that you will expect some extra benefits. Airfares nowadays are not only expensive but unpredictable also as they keep fluctuating on a day to day basis and also during seasonal times. So, you need to select that card which gifts you air miles every time you buy an air ticket, which in due course can be redeemed for a free flight. Some cards award air miles on all spends. So, subscribe to one which serves your purpose best.
Here are the best Credit Cards that offer air travel benefits:
a. Air India SBI Platinum Visa & Master Credit Card
The Air India Platinum Visa & Master Card offers attractive reward experiences to its users.
- Earn up to 25,000 air miles each year.
- Earn up to 15 reward points on spending every 100 on Air India flight tickets.
- Earn 2 air miles for spending every 100.
- Get luxury lounge access to over 600 international airport lounges with the complimentary priority pass program.
- Get 5,000 reward points as welcome gift on card issuance.
- Get free membership of the Air India frequent Flyer Program.
- Annual fee: 1,499
- Renewal fee: 1,499 per annum
b. Standard Chartered Emirates Platinum Credit Card
Earn miles on your every transaction made through Standard Chartered Emirates Platinum Credit Card. The cardholders get various shopping and air travel benefits.
- Complimentary access to airport lounge.
- Get complimentary golf privileges.
- Earn 4,000 miles as bonus gift that makes your airfare to Dubai possible with just 27,500 miles.
- Contactless Credit Card and the facility of secure payments make your transactions quick and easy.
- Use your accumulated miles to get flight upgrades and discounts.
- Get 27,500 bonus Skyward miles on enrolment for card and renewal.
- Get Priority Pass membership which gives you access to 600+ VIP airport lounges across the world.
- Annual fee: 13,999
- Renewal fee: 13,999 per annum
2. Concierge services:
The services of a concierge come in really handy, especially at new destinations. This is because a concierge assists guests by doing numerous tasks like booking hotel rooms, making restaurant reservations, appointments for fitness centers and spa services, guiding guests to various tourist spots, making arrangements for timely transportation and also coordinating porter services. There are certain cards that offer these services for free at select destinations as a result of partnering with renowned hospitality chains.
Here is one of the best Credit Cards that offer concierge services:
a. American Express Platinum Credit Card
With American Express Platinum Card, you get exclusive benefits and savings for our travel plans under its Airline Partner Programme. With its 1,100+ airport lounges in 120 countries, the American Express Global Lounge CollectionSM offers many lounge options to the travelers. The card also offers amazing concierge services to its customers.
- Assistance for locating/sourcing goods and services at home as well as abroad.
- Assistance for personal assistance at home or abroad.
- It helps you organise events, personal occasions, dining reservations, gift and flowers delivery.
- It helps you with golf bookings.
- Helps you in booking tickets for movie and theatre.
- Assistance for reservation for events that are ‘By Invitation Only’.
- Get 1,00,000 reward points as membership bonus or stay vouchers from Taj Hotels Palaces Resorts Safaris valued 40,000.
- Earn 1 Membership Reward Point for spending every 40 except for Fuel, Insurance, Utilities, and Cash Transactions.
- Annual fee: 50,000 + applicable taxes
- Renewal fee: 50,000 + applicable taxes
Also Read : Best Credit Cards for Online Shopping
3. Airport lounge facilities:
For frequent travelers, it’s always advisable to select a card that enables them to opt for the complimentary use of both international and domestic airport lounges. However, it is always advisable to check how many complimentary visits you will be entitled to suit your traveling needs before you opt for a particular card. Make a comparative study of those Credit Cards that come with free membership to schemes that allow access to airport lounges the world over and then select one that suits your needs perfectly.
Here are the examples of best Credit Cards that offer Airport lounge facilities:
a. Air India SBI Signature Visa & Master Credit Card
The offers some attractive benefits to frequent flyers. With its priority pass program, you can get access to 600+ premium airport lounges across the world.
- Enjoy access to International Airport Luxury Lounges at over 600 airport lounges across the world with its complimentary Priority Pass Program.
- Enjoy complimentary Visa Lounge Access Program at major Indian airports.
- Welcome gift of 20,000 reward points.
- Anniversary gift worth 5,000 reward points.
- Earn 4 reward points for each spent of 100.
- Earn around 30 reward points for spending every 100 on booking tickets through Air India’s website or mobile app.
- Get 2.5% additional fuel surcharge waiver at every petrol pump of India.
- Get complimentary membership of Frequent Flyer Program (Flying Returns) of Air India.
Annual fee: 4,999
Renewal fee: 4,999
b. Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature Credit Card
This card helps frequent flyers fly for free. You can earn miles on all your transactions. The reward points earned are easily redeemable for flights and hotel stays.
- Get complimentary access to some specific lounges of India airports.
- Save up to 15% for all transactions at partner restaurants.
- Get complimentary insurance cover of up to 1 Crore for Air Accident.
- Earn 10 miles for spending every 100 on airline transactions.
- Redeem miles at over 100 domestic as well as international airlines hassle-free.
Annual fee: 3,000
Renewal fee: 3,000
4. Complimentary insurance:
Also, some of the best types of travel cards offer you insurance against accidents while flying, which in certain cases, comes to the enormous aid of families of air crash victims. Such complimentary insurance for air accidents will cover your medical costs and also ensure compensation on the cardholder’s death while traveling. You could also opt for those cards that offer conditional travel insurance including costs for any flight delay.
a. HDFC Regalia Credit Card
The card has some amazing travel and lifestyle benefits and offers for the travelers including:
- Air Accidental Death Cover to the nominated kin of the cardholder of 1 Crore.
- Emergency Overseas Hospitalization cover of up to 15 Lakhs for any medical emergency during traveling abroad.
- Credit Liability Cover of upto 9 Lakhs for primary cardholder.
- Complimentary airport lounge access.
- 2% foreign currency mark-up fee on international transactions – lowest among all cards.
- Get 15,000 bonus reward points every year on spending 8 Lakhs.
- Upto 15% discount on dining at partner premium restaurants across India.
- Quick transactions at specific merchant locations through contactless cards.
- Earn 4 reward points on spending every 150, redeemable at exclusive lifestyle purchases.
- Get 15,000 reward points on spending 8 Lakhs or more annually in each anniversary year.
- Get 10,000 reward points on spending 5 Lakhs or more annually in each anniversary year.
- Earn 9 Club Vistara points for spending every 100, additional baggage allowance of 5 Kg, and priority airport check-in as well as waitlist clearance on all Vistara flights.
Annual fee: 2,500 + applicable taxes
Renewal fee: 2,500 + applicable taxes
5. Special discounts and hotel vouchers:
Some travel cards offer frequent travelers special hotel vouchers when they spend a certain pre-determined amount on their card. Since most of these vouchers are issued by luxury hotels, it only makes their stay more comfortable and cheaper, if not complimentary. These are particularly useful when going for family vacations to reduce board and lodging bills significantly. Moreover, certain cards also grant you membership of multiple luxury hotel chains that entitle you to get a minimum discount every time you stay with them.
a. Citi PremierMiles Credit Card
Now fly for free with Citi PremierMiles Credit Card with complimentary air travel, freedom to choose from 100+ airlines to fly with. The card lets you earn miles on all your transactions which are redeemable for flights, hotel and other services.
- Get 10,000 miles on your first spend worth 1,000 or more within 60 days of card’s issuance.
- Get 3,000 miles on renewing your card.
- Earn 10 miles on spending per 100 on booking flight tickets, hotels or other purchases from www.premiermiles.co.in.
- Earn 10 miles on spending per 100 on any airline transactions in the world.
- Earn 10 miles on spending per 100 at MakeMyTrip, Flipkart, and other online partner merchants.
- Earn 4 miles on every transaction worth 100.
- Earn 1 Frequent Flyer Air Mile on every 2 miles.
- Miles can be redeemed with Citibank preferred partners like Goibibo, Indigo, Yatra, and so on (@ 45 for 100 miles).
- Get air accident insurance cover of up to 1 Crore.
- Get complimentary access to partner airport lounges.
- Get evergreen miles that never expire.
Annual fee: 3,000
Renewal fee: 3,000
Market research shows that the above mentioned five best types of travel Credit Cards are the most preferred the world over. However, a prudent cardholder needs to weigh the card benefits against annual fees payable, if any. It is seen that cards which charge annual fees come with better rewards usually than those without annual fees. So, you need to figure out how much you charge generally to your account annually, while also calculating the resulting rewards you will stand to earn and then subsequently compare the available rewards against the card’s cost.
With the market for travel cards growing by the day, the number of such cards is also spiraling. So research all products well before making a final choice. When searching for the appropriate product, check if there are any fees for foreign transactions, interest rates or a cap on rewards. The latter assumes significance as your card may grant you five points for every dollar spent, but may eventually cap your reward after you’ve reached a pre-determined limit.
These Credit Cards prove to be a lifesaver for those air travellers who fly to and fro on a regular basis. If you wish to Apply for New Credit Card Online, you can do so with minimal effort and time taken. Just visit MyMoneyMantra to find the perfect credit card for your travel needs and enjoy the best of both world – travel and credit.
To apply online for Credit Cards, Secured Loans and Unsecured Loans, visit www.mymoneymantra.com, the leading online lending marketplace that offers financial products from 70+ Banks and NBFCs. We have served 2 million+ happy customers since 1989.
Talk to our Loan Specialists toll-free at 18001034004 to know more about our products and offers.