Instant & Free Pan Card in 10 Minutes Through Aadhaar: All You Need to Know
Stepping up another digital enabler for the Indian Economy, the Finance Ministry has formally launched a free and instant e-PAN facility for the tax payers with valid Aadhaar Card and mobile numbers registered in the UIDAI database.
The e-PAN is issued using Aadhaar-based e-KYC which identifies the biometric details of the PAN holder via a barcode. The allotment process is seamless as it is paperless and can be completed within 10 minutes. All you need to do is visit the official IT department’s website and share your Aadhaar details. The privacy is authenticated by generating an OTP which verified by sending on the registered mobile number.
On successful completion of the process, you can download the ePAN through the ITD’s website or check a copy from your registered email ID.
The facility for electronic PAN (e-PAN) has been active in ‘Beta version’ on trial basis since February and more than 6.7 lakh e-PANs have already been allotted informed the IT department in the official press statement.
The IT department also informed that as on May 25, 2020, a total of 50.52 crore PANs were allotted to taxpayers, out of which 49.39 crore were individuals. Around 65%, i.e. more than 32.17 crore PANs are seeded with Aadhaar so far.
You should note that lining your PAN and Aadhaar are mandatory and the last date is June 30, 2020 for the same. The income tax department has also allowed people to use their Aadhaar in place of PAN.
User guidelines issued by Income Tax Department for instant PAN through Aadhaar based e-KYC
- Only those applicants who possess a valid Aadhaar number can avail this facility.
- e-PAN is issued in PDF format.
- There is no cost attached.
- The tax payer needs to share a valid Aadhaar number to request ePAN.
- An OTP is generated and sent to the registered mobile number.
- A 15-digit acknowledgment number is generated after the successful application.
- The applicants can check the PAN status any time using their Aadhaar number and download the PAN from the Income Tax Department’s Website.
- The copy of the e-PAN is also sent by mail to the registered e-mail id in the Aadhaar database.
Salient points to Know before applying for e-PAN
- The Aadhaar should not be linked with other PAN before.
- A mobile number should be registered with Aadhaar for availing this facility.
- It is completely a paper-less process. Do not submit or upload any documents.
- The applicant should not hold multiple PANs. It is an offense and a penalty is levied under section 272B(1) of Income-Tax Act.
How to apply for instant PAN through Aadhaar?
The steps to follow for instant PAN through Aadhaar are:
- Visit e-Filing official website of IT department. The link is: www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- You will find the link “Instant PAN through Aadhaar.” Click it.
- Now click on another link on next webpage that says “Get New PAN.”
- Next, share Aadhaar number as prompted. Enter captcha to verify entry and confirm.
- An OTP will be sent on you Aadhaar registered mobile number.
- Submit the OTP and complete the step.
- After submission of OTP, an acknowledgement number is generated. You should save this acknowledgment number for any future reference related to your e-PAN allotment.
- An SMS is also sent to your mobile to acknowledge the successful completion.
- In case you have a registered e-mail id the acknowledgement is sent to Email as well.
Steps to download e-PAN
You can download PAN on the official website after successful entry of the steps mentioned below. You can download the PAN copy on later date as well. Here are the steps involved:
- Visit e-Filing website of Income-tax department again.
- Click on ‘Instant PAN through Aadhaar’ link.
- Now click on ‘Check Status of PAN.’
- Submit the Aadhaar number and submit OTP as received on registered mobile number.
- Check the status. PAN allotted or not.
- If PAN is allotted, you can now click on the download link and get the copy of e-PAN pdf. The same would also be sent to registered email id, if email is linked with Aadhaar.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
✅ What is PAN?
PAN is an acronym for Permanent Account Number which is issued by Income Tax Department & serves as a 10-digit alphanumeric unique financial ID for you. The Income-tax department issues PAN as per the Income Tax Act & Rules. PAN is also required by financial institutions and agencies.
✅ What is e-PAN?
In simplest words, you can consider e-PAN as a digitally signed PAN card issued by the Income-tax department.
✅ How it is different from PAN Card?
Aadhaar-based instant PAN is near-real time e-copy of your PAN. You can get it issued by quoting a valid Aadhaar number issued by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The Aadhaar should not be linked with any PAN before. As e-KYC of data linked with your Aadhaar number is fulfilled you get a PAN.
✅ Is this online PAN valid? Is it different from previous PAN issued via physical application?
Yes, this PAN is valid & similar to the PAN issued by Income-tax department physically. It is paperless & online version of your PAN issued free of cost.
✅ How do I get Instant PAN?
You can download your instance online version of PAN by Aadhaar details at Check Status of PAN on official website. You get the PDF copy of PAN in your registered email with Aadhaar.
✅ Is there any cost for Aadhaar based Instant PAN?
No. The Aadhaar based instant Pan is issued at free of cost.
✅ How does e-PAN work as proof of PAN?
Each e-PAN contains a unique QR code which is unique to demographic details of the specific PAN holder. Thus as you use the e-PAN the QR code reader learns about the connected user’s name, date of birth and photograph.
✅ Who can apply for allotment of Instant PAN through Aadhaar e-KYC?
All PAN applicants who have Aadhaar that is linked with mobile number can apply.
✅ Can foreign citizens apply for PAN through e-KYC mode?
✅ Can I apply for PAN if I have an Aadhaar Card but it is not active?
No, you need an active Aadhaar Number.
✅ Do I need Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) for applying for e-PAN?
✅ Do I need to submit any documents or proof of Aadhaar card?
No, the entire process is online and no paperwork is required for the same. You do not even need to attach any photo or signature for e-KYC
✅ Does the process of getting e-PAN require in-person verification (IPV)?
✅ Is there any centre for PAN allotment through e-KYC?
PAN allotment through Aadhaar e-KYC is completed through e-Filing website: www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
✅ Can I give my present address, which is not same as the one on Aadhaar Card?
No. The details should match with Aadhaar database.
✅ How do I check status of my Instant PAN application?
Follow these steps to know the status of request for instant e-PAN:
(a) Go to e-Filing website of Income-tax department. Here is the link: https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
(b) Now click on ‘Instant PAN through Aadhaar.’
(c) Here tap on ‘Check Status of PAN.’
(d) Now fill the Aadhaar number and an OTP will be generated and sent to the mobile number registered with your Aadhaar card.
(e) Fill the OTP and get status of application- PAN allotted or not.
(f) It PAN is allotted, you can get the PDFC copy by clicking on the download link.
✅ Will there be any copy of this PAN card too?
No, it is a digital copy only.
✅ How to get a physical PAN card?
If an e-PAN has been allotted, you can avail of the physical PAN by submitting PAN on the links shared below:
✅ Can I revise my PAN details through ePAN?
The data revision request should be initiated by clicking on these links:
✅ Whom should I contact if I found error in using my digital PAN?
Mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org for any ePAN related hassles.